Samsung officially announce the Galaxy Note8
After a tsunami of leaks in the form of images and specs, Samsung have finally made the Galaxy Note8 official. The leaks were pretty spot on with the rumoured 6.3″ Quad HD+ Super AMOLED screen, dual rear 12MP camera with dual OIS and updated S Pen.
Packing quite similar internals to the Galaxy S8+, the Note8 is a beast when it comes to sheer processing power. With its extremely impressive almost edge-less 6.3″QHD+ SAMOLED display, (the largest display ever on a Note device) the Note8 is as eye-catching as its smaller siblings even if it’s a bit more square.
On the back, you’ve got the dual camera set up we’ve all seen in the leaks. One camera is a wide angle lens and the other is telephoto lens. There’s also the new Live Focus feature that lets you control the depth of field by allowing you to adjust the bokeh effect in preview mode and after you take the photo.
Unfortunately, Samsung still haven’t managed to work out how to place the fingerprint scanner below the front panel so it’s still located precariously close to the dual camera set-up on the back.
The updated S Pen has a finer tip and improved sensitivity and, hopefully, Samsung has fixed the problem many Note7 users had when inserting their S Pen in the wrong way round.
Samsung’s own AI assistant is also on board in the form of Bixby (which is now available in over 200 countries) which seems to be growing quite quickly in terms of its features and capabilities.
IP68 resistance and wireless charging are also included as we’ve come to expect from Samsung flagships. There’s also a somewhat modest 3300mAh battery given the size of the device but with the AMOLED display and updated processors, we don’t imagine there being much issue with battery life.
Irish pre-orders start today (23rd Aug) from select operators and retailers, until 14th Sep. If you pre-order from select retailers, you can claim a Samsung DeX station whilst stocks last. The Galaxy Note8 will launch on the 15th September in UK and Ireland.
Two colour variants will launch in Ireland; Midnight Black and Maple Gold. Potential availability of the additional two colours, Orchid Grey and Deepsea Blue, will be announced at a later date.
Below are the official specs for the device.
|Display||6.3-inch Quad HD+ Super AMOLED, 2960×1440 (521ppi)
*Screen measured diagonally as a full rectangle without accounting for the rounded corners
*Default resolution is Full HD+ and can be changed to Quad HD+ (WQHD+) in Settings
|Camera||Rear: Dual Camera with Dual OIS (Optical Image Stabilization)
– Wide-angle: 12MP Dual Pixel AF, F1.7, OIS
– Telephoto: 12MP AF, F2.4, OIS
– 2X optical zoom, 10X digital zoom
Front: 8MP AF, F1.7
|Body||162.5 x 74.8 x 8.6mm, 195g, IP68
(S Pen: 5.8 x 4.2 x 108.3mm, 2.8 g, IP68)
*Carrying an IP68 dust and water resistance rating. Based on test conditions of submersion in up to 1.5 meters of fresh water for up to 30 minutes
|AP||Octa core (2.3GHz Quad + 1.7GHz Quad), 64bit, 10nm processor
Octa core (2.35GHz Quad + 1.9GHz Quad), 64bit, 10nm processor
*May differ by market and mobile operator
|Memory||6GB RAM (LPDDR4), 64GB/128GB/256GB
*May differ by market and mobile operator
*User memory is less than the total memory due to storage of the operating system and software used to operate the device features. Actual user memory will vary depending on the operator and may change after software upgrades are performed.
|SIM Card||Single: one Nano SIM and one MicroSD slot (up to 256GB)
Hybrid: one Nano SIM and one Nano SIM or one MicroSD slot (up to 256GB)
*May differ by market and mobile operator
Wireless Charging compatible with WPC and PMA
Fast Charging compatible with QC 2.0
|Network||LTE Cat. 16
*May differ by market and mobile operator
|Connectivity||Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz), VHT80 MU-MIMO, 1024QAM,
Bluetooth® v 5.0 (LE up to 2Mbps), ANT+, USB Type-C, NFC, Location (GPS, Galileo*, Glonass, BeiDou*)
*Galileo and BeiDou coverage may be limited.
|Sensors||Accelerometer, Barometer, Fingerprint Sensor, Gyro Sensor, Geomagnetic Sensor, Hall Sensor, Heart Rate Sensor, Proximity Sensor, RGB Light Sensor, Iris Sensor, Pressure Sensor|
|Authentication||Lock Type: Pattern, Pin, Password
Biometric Lock Types: Iris Scanner, Fingerprint Scanner, Facial Recognition
|Audio||MP3, M4A, 3GA, AAC, OGG, OGA, WAV, WMA, AMR, AWB, FLAC, MID, MIDI, XMF, MXMF, IMY, RTTTL, RTX, OTA, DSF, DFF, APE|
|Video||MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3G2, WMV, ASF, AVI, FLV, MKV, WEBM|
You can read the full press release below:
Do Bigger Things with Samsung Galaxy Note8, the Next Level Note
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., introduces the Galaxy Note8, the next level Note for people who want to do bigger things. With the Galaxy Note8, consumers get a bigger Infinity Display that fits comfortably in one hand, S Pen to communicate in more personal ways, and Samsung’s best-ever smartphone camera to capture stunning photos. The Galaxy Note8 is designed for the way consumers lead their lives and lean on technology today.
“We appreciate the relentless passion of the Note community. They’ve been a constant inspiration to us and we designed the new Note for them,” said DJ Koh, president of Mobile Communications Business, Samsung Electronics. “From the Infinity Display to the enhanced S Pen and powerful Dual Camera, the Galaxy Note8 lets people do things they never thought were possible.”
Samsung first introduced the Note series in 2011. Since then, a community of enthusiasts emerged through their affinity for the Note’s signature expansive screen and S Pen. According to Samsung market research1, 85 percent of Note users say they’re proud to show off their Note and recommend it to friends, and 75 percent say it’s the best phone they’ve ever had.
A New Way to Communicate with the S Pen
Since its introduction, the S Pen has been one of the Note’s defining features. With the Galaxy Note8, the enhanced S Pen unlocks entirely new ways to write, draw, and interact with the phone and communicate with friends. It has a finer tip, improved pressure sensitivity2, and features that enable users to express themselves in ways that no other stylus or smartphone ever has.
When communicating with text just isn’t enough, Live Message allows you to reveal your unique personality and tell expressive stories. With the Galaxy Note8, you can now share animated texts or drawings across platforms that support animated GIFs3. It’s a whole new way to communicate with the S Pen—adding lively and emotional connections that bring your messages to life.
The Always On Display allows Galaxy users to stay on top of their notifications without unlocking their phone. And with the Galaxy Note8, it’s even more powerful. Screen off memo allows you to take up to one-hundred pages of notes as soon as you remove the S Pen, pin notes to the Always On Display and make edits directly from the Always On Display.
For overseas travels or when you come across a website in a foreign language, the improved S Pen Translate feature lets you hover over text to quickly translate not only individual words, but entire sentences in up to 71 languages, and instantly convert units and foreign currencies.
Better Pictures with Galaxy Note8’s Best-in-Class Camera
For most consumers, one of the things they look for when purchasing a new device is the camera. Samsung set the standard for smartphone cameras and with the Galaxy Note8, we’re delivering our most powerful smartphone camera yet.
The Galaxy Note8 is the first smartphone with two 12MP rear cameras with Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) on both the wide-angle and telephoto lenses. Whether you’re exploring a new city or running around your backyard, OIS lets you capture sharper images.
For more advanced photo-taking, the Galaxy Note8’s Live Focus feature lets you control the depth of field by allowing you to adjust the bokeh effect in preview mode and after you take the photo.
In Dual Capture mode, both rear cameras take two pictures simultaneously and allow you to save both images; one close-up shot from the telephoto lens and one wide-angle shot that shows the entire background.
The wide-angle lens has a Dual Pixel sensor with rapid Auto Focus, so you can capture sharper, clearer shots even in low-light environments. The Galaxy Note8 is also equipped with an industry-leading 8MP Smart Auto Focus front-facing camera for sharp selfies and video chats.
Enjoy and Do More on the Infinity Display
The Galaxy Note8 has the biggest screen ever on a Note device, yet its narrow body makes it comfortable to hold in one hand. The 6.3-inch Quad HD+ Super AMOLED Infinity Display lets you see more and scroll less. The Galaxy Note8 gives you more room to watch, read and draw—making it the ultimate multitasking smartphone.
Note users have long been able to do more with Multi Window. With the Galaxy Note8, the new App Pair feature lets you choose pair of apps and place the pairing on the Edge panel, letting you simultaneously launch the two apps with ease. Watch a video while messaging your friends or dial into a conference call with the number and agenda in front of you4.
Galaxy of Features and Services
The Galaxy Note8 is built on the Galaxy legacy—a collection of unique features and capabilities that, together, have redefined the mobile experience:
- Water and Dust Resistance: Four years ago, Samsung introduced the first Galaxy device with water resistance. And today, you can take your Note almost anywhere you want with water and dust resistance (IP685) on the device and the S Pen. You can write even when the display is wet.
- Fast Wireless Charging: Two years ago, Samsung introduced the first Galaxy device with wireless charging capabilities. The Galaxy Note8 supports the most advanced wireless charging capabilities yet, so you can get a quick, convenient charge6 without having to mess around with ports or wires.
- Security: The Galaxy Note8 offers a choice of biometric authentication options—including iris and fingerprint scanning. Samsung Knox7 provides defence-grade security at the hardware and software layers and with Secure Folder, keeps your personal and professional data separate.
- Powerful Performance: With 6GB RAM, a 10nm processor, and expandable memory (up to 256GB)8, you have the power you need to browse, stream, play games, and multitask.
- Innovative Mobile Experiences: Samsung DeX9 enables a desktop experience, powered by your phone. You can keep your files on your device, conduct work on the go, and use Samsung DeX when you need an even bigger screen. The Galaxy Note8 includes Bixby10, a smarter way to use your phone; it learns from you, improves over time, and helps you get more done.
Mobile Performance, Productivity and Security for Businesses
The Galaxy Note8 takes business innovation to the next level with advanced features that improve performance, productivity and security for a wide range of industries, simplifying how work gets done:
- Enhanced S Pen, Great for Business: The S Pen lets professionals do what other smartphones can’t, like discreetly taking notes in Screen off memo or quickly annotating documents and photos.
- Non-Contact Authentication: The Galaxy Note8 offers iris scanning for professionals—for example, professionals in the health care, construction, or public safety sectors who may find themselves in a position where they need to unlock their phones without having to swipe or scan a fingerprint.
- Enhanced DeX Capabilities: The Galaxy Note8 powers Samsung DeX11 for those who need to extend their simple mobile experience seamlessly to the desktop —whether they’re in the field, at the office or at home.
Our Continued Commitment to Safety
Samsung continues to uphold its commitment to lead the industry in battery safety. The Galaxy Note8’s battery has undergone Samsung’s 8-Point Battery Safety Check—the most rigorous in the industry.
“We have been closely working with Samsung to make meaningful advancements in the science of smartphone quality and safety evaluation. As a result, the Galaxy Note8 has successfully completed a rigorous series of device and battery safety compatibility test protocols. We look forward to maintaining our strategic relationship with Samsung and helping ensure device safety for all consumers.” said Sajeev Jesudas, President, UL International.
Ireland pre-order and launch
- Irish pre-orders start today (23rd Aug) from select operators and retailers, until 14th Sep
- Pre-order from select retailers and claim a Samsung DeX station12
- The Galaxy Note8 will launch on the 15th September in UK and Ireland
- Ireland RRP: Available through retailers directly
- Two colour variants will launch in Ireland; Midnight Black and Maple Gold. Potential availability of the additional two colours, Orchid Grey and Deepsea Blue, will be announced in due course
For more information about Samsung Galaxy Note8 visit http://www.samsungmobilepress.com, the