We’ve been asked many times how to get Netflix on your TV as opposed to watching it on your Laptop / Phone / Tablet, so we thought we’d take the time to put together a quick quide on the easiest ways to get the big screen experience from Netflix.
Lets start by noting that everyones setup is going to be different so this is going to be a high level guide, but if you have any questions about your particular setup, get in touch and we’ll help you through any areas that you might need clarification or further assistance with.
To start, Netflix is available on all the consoles right now. That is the Wii, the WiiU, the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. It is also on a large number of Smart TV’s as well as internet video players such as Apple TV and Roku.
Most people don’t realise that as long as their Wii is connected to the internet they can get Netflix on it.
What to do:
- Select the Wii Shop Channel on the Wii Menu and select “Start.”
- If you have not previously accessed the Wii Shop Channel, you will need to read and agree to the User Agreement. (How To)
- A screen will appear asking you if you want to link a Club Nintendo account to your Wii Shop account.
- If you have a Club Nintendo Membership, enter your User Name and Password, then select “Link.”
- If you do not have a Club Nintendo Membership, leave the fields blank and select “Skip.”
- Select “Start Shopping” to continue to the Wii Shop Channel main menu.
- Select “Wii Channels” from the Wii Shop Channel main menu, then select “Netflix Instant Streaming for Wii.” Select “Free 0 Wii Points.”
- Select either the “Wii System Memory” or an “SD Card” as the download location.
- Select “OK,” then “Yes” to download the channel.
- A screen will appear with Mario running across the screen and three blocks. Mario will hit the blocks as the download progresses.
- Once Netflix Instant Streaming for Wii has finished downloading, it will appear on the Wii menu.
The beauty of the Wii is that it works on practically any TV. I’ve set it up on a familys old CRT (big tube tv), with the Red, White and Yellow connectors. Their Wifi isn’t great (about 1.5mb from Sky Broadband) and there is no problems watching Netflix!
To set Netflix up on the PS3:
- From the PS3 home screen, navigate to the TV/Video Services section and select the Netflix icon.
- If you’re not already at the home screen, hold the PS3 button in the middle of the controller, select Quit, then select Yes to return to the home screen.
To set Netflix up on the Xbox 360:
- From Xbox Home, go to Apps, and then select Browse Apps.
- Browse or search for Netflix.
- Select Netflix to download the app. Once downloaded, Netflix will automatically start.
- Do one of the following:
- If you are already a member of Netflix, select Yes, I am.
- If you are not a member of Netflix, follow the on-screen instructions to set up a Netflix account and start a free trial.
- Sign in using your Netflix sign-in information (email and password). If you don’t know your Netflix sign-in information, go to the Netflix Sign In page and click Need help signing in.
- You can now instantly stream Netflix to your Xbox 360 console. Later, when you want to start the Netflix app, go to Video, My Video Apps, and then select Netflix.
With the Roku and Apple TV, Netflix is preinstalled so just select the Icon.
It really is that simple to get started streaming video on your TV.
Also have a look out for the RTE Player and TV3 Player. They allow you to catchup on any shows you might have missed and are on Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and a number of other devices!
Again, any questions, or if your having problems getting setup, feel free to get in touch by leaving a comment below or sending us a message on Facebook or Twitter.