After being on the cards since the launch of the PlayStation 4, gamers will finally be able to properly multitask on their consoles. It’s not the only improvement Sony have made either, read on for the full list. Update 2.50 launches for PlayStation 4 tomorrow (25/03/2015).
What is Suspend/Resume?
Think of suspend/resume like how the Xbox One deals with games. You can jump in and out quickly, even if your console was turned off. It suspends the game in time. PS4 owners will find support for nearly every game out there and all you’ll have to do is press the PS button. It’s going to make multi-tasking and gaming on PS4 a lot more convenient.
What other big things are coming in 2.50?
You’ll be able to back up your entire console to USB meaning upgrading your hard-drive just became a lot more convenient. There’s also improvements to the Friends application with a Facebook friend-finder. Remote/Share Play can now handle 60FPS gameplay and you can now delete 0% trophy records for games.
Parents will be able to upgrade sub accounts for their kids and everyone will be able to share video to DailyMotion. Finally, you can now make all future updates install automatically. It’s a massive upgrade from Sony, we’ll be keen to see what’s on the menu post E3!
As Remote Play is being upgraded to support 60FPS, this also means you’ll have to update your PlayStation TV, PlayStation Vita or PlayStation App for Xperia smartphones and tablets to access 60FPS streaming. Those updates should be rolling out this week alongside the PlayStation 4 2.50 update.
Full Update log:
Suspend/Resume: Supported by nearly all of your PS4 games, you can jump in and out of your games with just the press of the PS button. Quickly switch from Rest Mode to powered-up so you can pick up where you left off.
Back-up and restore HDD to USB: Back-up and restore your hard disc drive data associated with users on your PS4, including settings, saved data, screenshots and video clips as well as games, patches and download data, to and from an external USB drive.
Find and connect with friends: “Yukimura” adds to an already robust set of social tools, bringing several updates to continue making PS4 the best place to play with your friends, including:
- Facebook friend finder – Using your linked account, you can expand your network by searching and connecting with your Facebook friends.
- Improved friend requests – Friend requests and Real Name requests can be sent together in one step when adding a friend on PS4.
- Streamlined Party process – The process to create a Party has been streamlined with a reduction in the number of steps required.
- Find friends who play your games – Easily view what friends are playing on each game detail page with a real-time “Friends Who Play This” section, which also highlights which friends are currently online and playing it, and allows you to jump directly into the game.
- Join Friends directly from news feed – A new tile will be added on your What’s New feed where you can see what your friends are currently playing, enabling you to join in the game if you own it.
Share earned trophies and optimise your trophy list: We know that Trophies are important to many gamers, so we’re bringing more control with how you show them off:
- Automatic Trophy screenshots – A screenshot will automatically be captured when a Trophy is earned, preserving the moment to share with friends.
- SHARE Trophies – Players can share Trophy information to Facebook, Twitter or via Message by pressing the SHARE button.
- Additional Trophy sorting options – Sort your Trophy list by Earned Date, Not Earned and Grade.
- Delete 0% Trophies – Remove games from your Trophy list that have zero percent completion.
Improved and expanded accessibility options: New options added to customise the user experience include:
- Customised button assignments for DUALSHOCK 4.
- Zoom for displayed pictures and inverted colors for all system functions, apps and in-game.
- Text-to-speech for all graphical user interface, including Message and Party.
- Enlarged text for all graphical user interface, including Message and Party, as well as the system’s browser.
- Bolder fonts and higher contrast UI for all system applications (but will not apply to games or third-party applications).
Remote Play and Share Play: For games that support 60 fps, users will be able to automatically enjoy those games with 60fps for both Remote Play and Share Play* on supported devices.
Automatic installation for system software updates: Enable automatic installation for future system software updates.
Sub-account upgrade: Enable users 18 years of age or older with sub-accounts to upgrade to a master account directly on PS4, removing restrictions on chat and enabling users to add funds to their Wallet, purchase content and more.
Verified Accounts: Select game developers, producers, designers and community managers will be verified with a badge.
Dailymotion: Upload video clips directly to Dailymotion via the SHARE button.
Source: PlayStation Blog