Nest Labs, Inc. recently announced refreshes and redesigns across the company’s entire product portfolio with the introduction of Nest Cam, the second-generation Nest Protect, new features for the Nest Learning Thermostat, and a brand new app. You can find all the information on the recent announcements below and we will have our review of the new Nest Cam live for you guys very soon so stay tuned! The full press release is below:
Nest Cam – With full high-definition (1080p) video quality, a versatile stand, improved motion alerts and night vision, the new Nest Cam allows people to keep an eye on the things they care about from anywhere. And beginning next month, Nest Cam will be available in Europe.
Nest Protect – The second-generation Nest Protect smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarm is the first residential alarm to offer a custom, Split-Spectrum Sensor that uses two wavelengths of light to look for different types of fires. Nest Protect alarms can now be silenced from your phone.
- Nest Learning Thermostat – The best-selling Nest Learning Thermostat is getting even better, now notifying customers when temperatures drop to help avoid frozen pipes and adding new integrations with other Nest products.
- Nest app 5.0 – The redesigned Nest app 5.0 brings together all three products, across multiple platforms, for the first time, making it easier to access and control Nest products.
“At Nest, we always wanted to build more than a thermostat,“ said Tony Fadell, Nest chief executive officer. “Our vision was to create a thoughtful home – a home that takes care of itself and the people in it. Five years later, all the pieces are in place. We’ve built a portfolio of best-in-class products that each stand on their own while doing more together. More than 9,000 developer partners are using the Works with Nest developer program to help seamlessly integrate everything from washers and dryers to cars with our thermostat, smoke alarm and camera. And we’re working with energy and insurance partners to bring more value to our shared customers. Nest products are used in 190+ countries, across multiple platforms, and available wherever people shop. The result? Energy saved, lives spared, and countless memories recorded and shared.”
With live video streaming to a phone or computer, Nest Cam gives people peace of mind and the ability to stay connected to the things they care about. The all-new Nest Cam builds on the Dropcam features customers love, adding better video quality and a new design to make it even easier to keep an eye on your home. Nest Cam will be available for the first time in Europe, specifically the U.K, Republic of Ireland, France, Netherlands and Belgium.
- New design – Nest Cam’s magnetic base can stick to metal, be mounted to the wall or screwed onto a universal tripod. It can twist around, bend at an angle, or be mounted upside down. The stand incorporates a rare-earth magnet and ¼ inch, 20-screw mount, so you can securely place it in even more locations. Its body design provides three degrees of freedom so customers can capture the view they want.
- Video quality – Nest Cam delivers crisp 1080p HD over Wi-Fi so customers can see the finest details across the room.
- Secure streaming – Stream and store video content using a unique 2048-bit RSA key and securely transmit using a 128-bit SSL connection.
- Improved Night Vision – Eight high-powered infrared LEDs and new algorithms that improve Night Vision and motion detection. Other home cameras give you a spotlight view at night, but Nest Cam lets you see the entire room. And because Nest Cam’s sensors know the difference between a flashlight and sunlight, Night Vision won’t get confused and switch to day mode every time a bright light passes in front of the camera. That can be hugely helpful if an intruder turns on a flashlight, or if headlights flash across your window.
- Nest Aware with Video History – Customers can subscribe for an additional monthly fee to gain access to:
- Video History – Scroll through 10 or 30 days of content depending on your subscription choice so you have extra time to see what happened and save the stuff you want to remember.
- Clips & Timelapses – Make and share up to three hour clips.
- Activity Zones – Create custom Activity Zones around areas of interest – such as a door – so you can be alerted to any activity in a specific area.
- Advanced motion sensing – Nest Cam uses the power of the cloud to provide more accurate alerts and detect areas where common false alarms occur, like ceilings.
Nest Cam + YouTube
Together with YouTube, Nest is piloting the ability for YouTube creators to stream directly to YouTube Live from Nest Cam, giving viewers a behind the scenes look at their favorite personalities. Initial participations include:
- Unbox Therapy – Lewis Hilsenteger has built a subscriber base of more than two million by sharing the unboxing process of a wide range of consumer electronics products. Lew will use Nest Cam to set up a live stream of his production studio.
- Devin Supertramp – Devin Graham is an American videographer who produces adventure and extreme sports videos. His channel has more than three million subscribers. Devin will use Nest Cam to give his viewers a live look at the preparation that goes into his amazing stunts.
- iJustine – Justine Ezarik is a techie, gamer, vlogger and a top personality on YouTube with more than three million subscribers across her channels. Justine plans to use Nest Cam as a way to live stream some of her special events.
“I bought a Dropcam a few months ago and used it to set up a public live stream of my office on my website,” said Lewis Hilsenteger, the creator of Unbox Therapy. “The response was overwhelmingly positive – my audience loved having a behind-the-scenes view of my production studio. And now, being able to stream directly from the new Nest Cam – in full HD – to my YouTube channel means that it will be even easier for Unbox Therapy subscribers to get that inside look without having to leave YouTube.”
In addition, Nest has enabled some of the most popular camera feeds to stream directly to Nest’s YouTube channel (www.youtube.com/nest) so people can see live video of everything from puppies to scenic landscapes – all in one place.
According to the Department for Communities and Local Government, dwellings with no smoke alarm accounted for 38% of deaths in home fires in Great Britain, and nearly one fifth of deaths occurred where no smoke alarm worked. The second-generation Nest Protect has new features to help people know the alarm is working and running safely, and it now has up to a ten-year product lifetime. Like the first-generation Nest Protect, it does more than just sound an alarm. It speaks to you, telling you what and where the problem is.
- New design – The second generation Nest Protect is 11 percent smaller and sits more flush against the ceiling or wall. It has a stainless steel screen with tiny hexagonal holes designed to let in smoke for assessment while keeping everything else out. And the light ring now shines even brighter for a better Pathlight.
- Split-Spectrum Sensor – Inside the new smoke chamber, Nest Protect uses two wavelengths of light to look for both fast- and slow-burning fires.
- App Silence – Nest Protect warns you of danger, but if everything’s under control, you might not need that sound anymore. Now you can hush false alarms from your phone or tablet using the new Nest app.
- Up to 10-year product lifetime – Nest Protect’s updated sensors provide customers with a new, longer product lifetime of up to 10 years before the devices needs to be to replaced.
- Safety Checkup – The NFPA recommends you test your alarms once a month. Now, you can test the sensors, power, Wi-Fi connection, horn and speaker on all your alarms, right from your phone.
- Sound Check – Once per month, Nest Protect automatically tests the speaker and horn – quietly and quickly – using a built-in microphone.
- Easier installation – A redesigned backplate helps get Nest Protect level when placing it on your ceiling or wall, and an easy-to-open battery door makes battery replacement easier than ever. Nest Protect also includes Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) to improve pairing during setup.
New features for new and first-generation Nest Protect:
- Whole Home Nightly Promise – Nightly Promise shows you Nest Protect’s sensors and batteries are working with a quick green glow after you turn off the lights, or a yellow glow if Nest Protect needs attention. Now, instead of only indicating the status level of the Nest Protect in the room you’re in, Nightly Promise will indicate the status of all Nest Protects throughout the home so you can sleep safe and sound.
Safety Rewards: Save money by being safe
Just like a car alarm can reduce your car insurance premium, having a Nest Protect can reduce your home insurance premium. Building on the success of Nest’s energy partner program, Nest is partnering with forward-looking home insurance companies to help people stay safe while saving money on their insurance policies. Four out of five firefighters would trust Nest Protect to protect their homes, and insurance companies know that Nest Protect can keep families safe from smoke and carbon monoxide. They’re working with Nest to give eligible customers a Nest Protect for less – or even at no cost. Additionally, through Nest Safety Rewards, a participating Nest insurance partner may give you a discount on your annual premiums.
Customers who elect to participate in Safety Rewards can share basic summarised information with participating insurance companies to verify that their Nest Protects are working. Specifically, once a month, Nest will tell a participating customer’s insurer if:
- Nest Protect’s batteries are charged
- Its sensors are working
- Its Wi-Fi connection is good
These monthly reports you share do not include whether the alarm went off, and even if your Nest Protect temporarily loses power or Wi-Fi connectivity it won’t impact the benefits Nest’s insurance partners offer through safety awards. And of course, customers can opt out of Safety Rewards at any time from within the Nest app or by contacting their insurance company.
American Family, a multi-line insurer based in Madison, Wisconsin that operates in 19 states, and Liberty Mutual Insurance, the third-largest property/casualty insurer in the United States, are the first insurance partners to provide offers as part of Nest Safety Rewards. Customers can enroll with American Family in Minnesota starting today and with Liberty Mutual in Alabama, Illinois, Kentucky, Maine, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin starting this summer. Both American Family and Liberty Mutual are exploring plans to expand the program to additional markets.
Go to www.nest.com/insurance-partners to sign up for Nest Safety Rewards or to learn more.
Nest Learning Thermostat software 4.5
The Nest Learning Thermostat is adding new features to both first and second-generation products and a new integration with Nest Protect to help keep Nest customers safer and more comfortable.
- Safety Temperature Alerts – Nest now sends a message to your phone if your home gets too cold. So you’ll get a notification if your pipes could freeze. When the temperature returns to normal, Nest will let you know.
- Nest Protect Emergency Alerts – If you have a Nest Protect at home, you can now see smoke and CO alerts right on your thermostat. The more places you see an alarm, the more chances you have of catching a problem early.
- Nest Protect Emergency Shutoff – Some heating systems can be a source of CO leaks. Others can make a fire worse by spreading smoke throughout your home. Now your Nest Thermostat and Nest Protect can work together to turn off your forced air heating/cooling system in a smoke or CO emergency.
- Improved multi-zone homes – Control up to 20 thermostats, per home, from within the app. The thermostats will work together to save energy and coordinate Auto-Away.
Nest app 5.0
For the first time you can control all of your Nest products from a single app. The fifth generation Nest app for your phone, tablet and computer has a new look and added features that make it easier to control all your Nest products, and your existing Dropcams. Customers can use the Nest app in any browser and on both Android or iOS devices (iOS 8.0+, Android 4.0+).
- Home Screen – Each Nest Thermostat, Nest Cam or Dropcam has its own spot, while all of your Nest Protects roll up into one icon. You can also see live video previews of all your Nest Cams on the home screen so you can get a quick glance of different rooms.
- Nest Learning Thermostat – It’s now easier to get to and use popular thermostat functions like Energy History, Heat mode and schedule.
- Nest Protect – Provides access to Safety Checkup, which lets you test all your alarms from the app, and App Silence lets you hush false alarms from your phone.
- Nest Cam and Dropcam
- Nest app offers new enhanced features for phones, including zoom and enhance, which adjusts to give you a sharper view.
- Talk and Listen is now easier to use. Just hold down the icon and start talking, just like a walkie-talkie.
- If you have a subscription to Nest Aware with Video History: The Nest app provides a summary of captures events, making it easy to spot moments in your Video History when your camera sensed motion or sound. You can easily skip among events or jump 30 seconds at a time.
- Dropcam Pro and Dropcam HD can now be accessed within the Nest app.
- If you have a Nest Cam and Nest Protect in the same room, you’ll see a camera button when you get a smoke or CO alert on your phone. Tap the button and you’ll immediately be taken to a live view of your home, so you can see what’s going on. Nest Cam will also record a clip of what happened, even if you don’t subscribe to Nest Aware with Video History.
- Nest Protect – is available for purchase today at nest.com with a suggested retail price of €119 including VAT. It will begin shipping next month.
- Nest Cam will be available to purchase in July with a suggested retail price of €199 including VAT.
- Nest Aware with Video History can be purchased as a 10-day or 30-day subscription for €10 and €30 per month, respectively.
- Nest app 5.0 is available today for free in the Google Play Store and iOS App Store.
- Nest Learning Thermostat software 4.5 will begin rolling out today and will take up to two weeks to reach Nest customers.
Nest Cam and second generation Nest Protect will be available in Ireland from Harvey Norman and Nest.com.
Nest’s mission is to create a home that’s thoughtful – one that takes care of itself and the people inside it. The company focuses on simple, beautiful and delightful hardware, software and services. The Nest Learning Thermostat™ and Nest Energy Services keep you comfortable and address home energy consumption. The Nest Protect: Smoke + Carbon Monoxide™ alarm helps keep you safe while Nest Cam™ keeps an eye on what matters most in your home. Nest products are sold in the U.S., U.K., Canada, France, Belgium, Ireland and the Netherlands and are installed in more than 190 countries. The Nest Learning Thermostat has helped save four billion kWh of energy to date. The Nest Developer Program, Works with Nest, makes it possible for Nest devices to interact with other products in your home to do even more. For more information, visit www.nest.com.