Vodafone Launch 'V By Vodafone': A Dedicated IoT Sim & Connected Devices
Vodafone Ireland has just entered the Internet of Things (IoT) consumer market with the launch of ‘V by Vodafone’ which will let Irish consumer connect the new V-Bag (a bag location-tracker), V-Auto (connected car dongle) and V-Camera (4G security camera) to Vodafone Group’s dedicated global IoT network via the new V-Sim.
V-Auto by Vodafone is a “plug and drive” dongle can be added to most vehicles on European roads manufactured since 2002. The “V-Auto by Vodafone” dongle is fitted to the car by the customer and is fully configured. The V-Auto is available to purchase for €80.00 upfront and a €2.99 monthly connectivity fee which is added to the customer’s bill automatically. Cars compatible with V-Auto can be searched here: https://shop.v.vodafone.com/IE/V-Auto
Once connected, “V-Auto by Vodafone” adds the following capabilities to any compatible vehicle.
- Auto SOS: the car owner will be contacted and offered support in the event of an accident in their home country. An automated call will be made to the emergency services if there is no response. The Auto SOS function provides the kind of eCall capability that will be a mandatory safety feature fitted in all new cars sold in the European Union from 2018.
- Find My Car: enabling the car owner to track the whereabouts of their vehicle.
- Safety Score: providing driving performance statistics on every journey.
V-Camera by Vodafone is a completely wireless high-definition mobile security camera (manufactured by Arlo) that automatically connects to Vodafone’s IoT network. It will allow you to set up continuous remote video monitoring of any location where there is 3G or 4G coverage. The V-Camera is available to purchase for €350.00 upfront and €4.99 monthly connectivity fee which is added to the customer’s bill automatically.
V-Bag by Vodafone is an advanced briefcase, handbag and schoolbag tracker that helps customers reduce the risk of theft or loss. Customers can set up a smartphone alert to notify them if a bag leaves a designated area such as a playground or crowded bar. The V-Bag is available to purchase for €60.00 upfront and €2.99 monthly connectivity fee which is added to the customer’s bill automatically.
“V by Vodafone” comprises:
- The dedicated IoT ‘V-Sim by Vodafone’. The Sim card will be shipped as standard with IoT-enabled consumer electronics products sold by Vodafone.
- The “V by Vodafone” smartphone app will provide users an overview of all IoT-enabled products registered to their account. Set up will ask customers to scan a QR code on the product packaging to register it and add the monthly fee to their existing Vodafone mobile account;
For ongoing coverage/tracking, a single fixed monthly ‘V-Sim by Vodafone’ price plan for each product connected is required with plans starting from €2.99 for V-Bag, V-Auto and V-Sim only to €4.99 for the V-Camera.
Vodafone has decided to focused on three product categories at launch with other categories, such as pet trackers and kid-tracking watches, are said to follow later this year along with the launch of a new online product marketplace open to IoT developers that aims to extend the product choice for customers.
The products are available now for purchase by current Vodafone mobile customers in selected Vodafone stores in Ireland. They can also be purchased online at v.vodafone.com./ie
Vodafone Group Chief Executive, Vittorio Colao, said: “The Internet of Things is already beginning to transform how businesses operate. Over the next decade, the expansion of IoT into consumer markets will bring about an equally dramatic shift in how people manage their daily lives, at home and in their leisure time. “V by Vodafone” makes it simple to connect a wide range of IoT-enabled devices, helping customers keep everyone and everything that matters to them safe and secure. We look forward to applying our world-leading expertise in IoT to help consumers make the most of the next phase of the global digital revolution.”